Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Does it snow in Britain?


"January brings the snow
makes our feet and fingers glow"*
 

I am often asked if we get snow in the UK. It makes me smile.

April asked me the very same question on Monday, and I went to my desk to pull out my map of the world. (I love maps, but that's another post entirely!)
 
We looked at the location of the UK and at the latitude it is on. Did you know that London is at 51.5N while Quebec is at 52N? Glasgow in Scotland sits at 55.8N. Not quite as far north as Juneau in Alaska (52.9N) but it's a good way north.

The UK doesn't get the same bitterly cold weather as they do in Canada and Alaska, but we do get snow. And winters are long and dark and dreary. Once the clocks change, which happens in the UK about a week after the US, it doesn't get light in the mornings until around 8:30 - 9:00am. We go to work in the dark and we come home in the dark because the light starts to go around 3:00pm in the afternoon.

 
However, the summer is long and light. You can sit outside on a summer evening until 10:00pm and the birds are singing and the sun is coming through the window before 4:00am in the morning. And if you hanker for some time sitting in the sun on the island of Malta, just take yourself out to LA and sit on the beach there, the latitudes are so close you could imagine you're sitting in the Mediterranean! 


The photos on this page are of the last snow I 'enjoyed' before leaving the UK and moving to America!

All that talk of snow has made me feel cold, so I'm off to make a cuppa, you coming??

Wendy


 










*Sara Coleridge

No comments:

Post a Comment