Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Nesting" Springtime Centerpiece



Hello friends! 

Yesterday morning, it had just hit me that Winter is ending and  I NEEDED wanted a large and dramatic Springtime centerpiece for my dining room table, but at a "this is an unplanned and compulsive buy" price.

I was pushing a shopping cart around my local craft store with my sweet friend Wendy in tow, roaming aisles, waiting for inspiration to bite. Five ideas later, it finally did! We came across a 14 inch super twiggy wreath, very inexpensive, and a birds nest came to mind. A LARGE birds nest. Go big or go home, right? 

Give it a try! ~ April









These are my supplies, cost around $10, items available at any craft store:



             

  • 1 - Natural wreath, the really "twiggy" variety, 14 inches $2.99

  •  1 - 6 inch greenStyrofoam Disc (located in the floral department) $1.95 *the 6 inch fit the center of my wreath perfectly, but I recommend holding up the wreath at the craft store and eyeballing the center of it against the foam.  You will want a tight fit, you can easily cut the foam,  shaving the sides with an exacto knife.

  • 1 - pkg of preserved sheet moss, approximately 3 oz's $3.20

  • 1 - pkg of plastic blue Robins eggs (or any that you prefer) $1.50 *these eggs were small, about an inch tall a piece, 12 total eggs, but you can use larger eggs or decopauged eggs, less eggs or more, etc 

  • White school craft glue which I already had around the house



Instructions:

Step one:
Simply take your styrofoam disk and press it firmly into the center of the wreath. No glue needed for this step, as the foam should fit tightly into the center. You can cut the foams diameter to fit, if it is too snug. I pressed the foam to where the disk sunk down a bit in the center of the wreath, from the top, giving it a bowl/nest  shape, and elevating the bottom. 

Step Two:
Lay your moss out on your workspace, breaking it into smaller clumps.  Pour craft glue onto a disposable plate. Dabbing the bottom of each piece of moss into glue, fill in the surface of the foam. I did a thin layer in the center, and more towards where the disk met the wreath, for a natural nest shape. Do not try to be perfectly even, nature is lumpy and bumpy. Let this dry completely (a few hours). 

Step Three:
In the center of your new large nest add your decorative eggs, and anything else that you might like to display. I did not use any glue for this part because I wanted to be able to change things up over the years. My 7 year old daughter decided a momma bird needed to be in the nest, so she grabbed the one off of my kitchen window (a big gold one). Not sure I love LOVE it but my daughter's enthusiasm was precious so it stays for now.

Tip: If you are concerned with a bit of shedding from all of the natural components (nature can be  a tad messy) BEFORE step two, you can hot glue a circle of dark brown felt to the bottom of your nest, first cutting the felt to fit the diameter of the wreath.  Hot glue on the outer edge of the felt, a nice even ring, and press (glue side down) all around the wreaths edge covering the wreath bottom and foam disk. Flip the wreath over and continue to step two. Choose a felt color that is close to the color of your wreath

HAPPY SPRING!

April



No comments:

Post a Comment