Thursday, March 6, 2014

French Bistro Tomato Cream Soup

My memories of France, the Loire Valley in particular, encompass lazy weekends, warm sunshine, trying out  my very poor French on the locals and wondering if opening  a bottle of wine at 10 am was acceptable (it was!) There’s nothing more enjoyable than eating lunch outside while watching the world go by. And this creamy tomato soup, served with warm crusty bread always makes me feel like I am back at my favorite bistro in France.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! ~ Wendy





French Bistro Tomato Cream Soup

4 Servings

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion 
1-28oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of good quality chicken stock
1 cup of half and half
*optional 1 tbsp of fresh chopped basil leaves for a creamy tomato basil soup

Melt butter in a 3 quart heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes, until tender. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, half and half, and also the fresh basil if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Using an immersion/stick blender, blend soup until smooth. Serve with crusty bread







No comments:

Post a Comment